Hey all. I’m continuing my Illustrated 2020 covers series today and I have been waiting to do this post forever. In honor of Valentine’s Day and, you know, gorgeous covers, I’m featuring all of the (standing) illustrated couples of 2020 that I could track down. Nothing like looking at a ton of couples to get you in the mood for feeling single. 😂
I’m not a bitter. Really!! I promise.
I am hoping that all of these are actually romances as I was unsure about a couple of them. 🤔 I’ll be featuring quite a few covers from a past WCW as well because, well, it’s just how it goes.
Wondrous Covers Wednesday is a weekly feature where I usually choose to showcase at least three covers with similar attributes and themes. This series will be branching out a little. To see past editions, you can check out my page for them here.
Let’s see what similarities I’m noticing in these covers aside from the obvious:
- Blue backgrounds and Books Are Being Featured: The Perfect Escape, What I Like About You, The Upside of Falling, and Recommended For You. Plus we have Verona Comics taking place at a comic book store.
- Wilderness Is Still A Thing: The Edge of Anything, Wildfire, Above All Else
- There’s some Hand Action with The Extraordinaries and Music From Another World
- I feel like it’s hard to say colors are a trend but given these are all (mostly) covers with romantic couples on them, I’m going to with-
- There’s also couples being back to back – Every Other Weekend, When We Were Infinite, More Than Maybe and Stay Gold
- We have a lot of rivalries and tension between Every Reason We Shouldn’t, I Kissed Alice and Verona Comics.
- Multiple ‘models’ are a trend with Yes No Maybe So and Again Again (and more to come with that).
My favorites are:
Recommended For You, The Falling In Love Montage, Every Other Weekend, Yes No Maybe So and Love, Jacaranda.
The colors are especially gorgeous with Love, Jacaranda.